Monday, October 3, 2011

ID Studio Class 4

For my class project I want to explore the idea of creating an interactive projection. Since Dana mentioned her work with the ghost in class, I have been a little fixated on the idea of creating something a little terrifying and yet strangely beautiful by way of projection. I have also been toying with the idea of legs. I see legs walking across bare brick walls, and in front of building facades. So here is a little more about my project.

Keywords that relate: Phantom, Dream Reality, Ghost, Spirit, Fashion, Avant-Garde, Ghoul

Media: Film, Photography, Video Projection, Internet, Fashion

Research

Sigmund Freud (1856-1939)
Sigmund Freud
Freud has influenced me a lot in my own thinking and research methods. I am particularly drawn to his ideas about dreams (The Interpretation of Dreams) and the human psychology and personality (Beyond the Pleasure Principle and The Ego and the Id). I think that my understanding of Freud has allowed me to expand my imagination into a reality. This seems like more of a Jungian idea, but I'm not too keen on Jung.


Guy Bourdin (1928-1991)
Guy Bourdin

I love the imagery of Guy Bourdin. He has a particular editorial style that is totally original and conveys a short powerful narrative, perfect for the magazine page, or the fleeting moment.



Gustav Klimt (1862-1918)

Klimt had a distinct way of representing women and fashion in his paintings. The images typically have such vibrant patterns and colors, and the figures lines have a sultry and sturdy flow to them. The women are seductive with cream skin and pose alluringly. I absolutely love the Beethoven Frieze. It is beautiful and terrifying especially this portion depicting the Hostile Forces.

Alexander McQueen (1969-2010)

McQueen was a brilliant designer, and perhaps one of the only fashion visionaries alive. This image in particular captures the kind of fluidity that I would want my ghost to convey. McQueen also had a perfect sense of style, and presentation. His shows were real spectacles, not just catwalks. The clothes had a life to them, beyond the models wearing them. This unreal life is conveyed beautifully in these photos from the Met exhibition. I didn't go, but the I own the catalog and the images there are really arresting. The clothes give the mannequins unreal life.


Madonna "Frozen" 1998

I love this video. There is great ghostly imagery in it, and the song is great. The video ir very haunting and I love the way that the clothing morphs with her body and the two of them are one figure. I love the end of the video when the figure is floating in the air.

Grace Coddington (1941)

Grace has done excellent production and styling work for Vogue for the past several years. She creates strong image with strong characters who seem to live beyond the clothes. Her work like Bourdin's is medium oriented. I would like to explore creating an image that could be projection oriented as opposed to print oriented.


Nick Knight

Knight has been creating fabulous images for years now. His images range from beautiful to horrifying and are always crisp striking and real. His fantasies are conveyed with such ease in his videos and photographs. He has a true skill and mastery of production. I love this Beasting shoot. Check it out here!

This film is inspiring as a way of presenting fashion beyond the catwalk. What if the women could be projected in a space with all the show goers interacting live with a video projection as well as live models?

Ming Xi and Nick Knight
This video is really cool and again conveys the image that I like.

Roy DeCarava (1919 -2009)

DeCarava is my favorite photographer. His images have such a stark contrast the figures almost exist in shadow. I want to kind of create that same sort of hidden life.

Bruce Davidson (1933)

I love Bruce's book 'Subway' originally published in the 80's. The photos are captivating becasue they contrast life with the total decay of the subway. The graffiti and trash, juxtaposed with beautiful people and colors. I am inspired to sort of create this kidn of life, in the station. Perhaps with a projection on an empty platform or after hours or something like that.




I don't think that I can think of a name for my project yet. But I do think that I would like to create a sort of app pet for my project. If I have the time. I think it would be cool to pass around my little ghost online and have him or her haunt the mobile devices of strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment